Sunday, March 29, 2015

Reading Challenge - March

I read a bunch of books this month.  I've been plowing through the books on Scribd.  I'm also making the most of Audible.

A classic romance - Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austin

I love the movie with Emma Thompson so I used Whispersync for Voice to read it with an Audible audiobook and the matching Kindle edition.

A book published this year - The Mermaid's Sister by Carrie Anne Noble

I got this book off Kindle First (before it was even released!) so it's pretty hot off the presses.  I really liked it.  It was a fantasy about a girl whose sister is turning into a mermaid and they have to figure out how to get her to the ocean.

A book written by someone under 30 - Flawless by Sara Shepherd

This is the sequel to Pretty Little Liars but I was not impressed.  Shepherd was just shy of 30 when this was released.

A popular author's first book - Star Trek The Next Generation #5 Strike Zone by Peter David

This is Peter David's first Star Trek  novel.  You can tell that it's a bit rusty but it still has his signature wit.

A Pulitzer Prize Winning Book - Nazi Germany and the Jews: The Years of Extermination, 1939-1945 by Saul Friedländer

This is a rather long, thorough and sometimes rather dry but extremely sobering account about the Holocaust in Germany.  This is the middle book of a three book series on the subject.  I learned a lot that I did not know about the holocaust.

A book based on a true story - The Road From Home by David Kherdian

The author writes about his mother's childhood during the Armenian genocide in Turkey.

A memoir - I Am Spock by Leonard Nimoy

I technically already covered this category but I finally read the second autobiography by Leonard Nimoy which is just as good as the first.

A book from your childhood - Sarah Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan

I read this book in fifth grade and watched the movie.  I didn't like it then but I enjoy it now as an adult. 

A Book Set in High School - Go Ask Alice by Anonymous

I've seen this book in B&N several times so I read it on Scribd.  It's the dark tale of a middle class girl who gets sucked into the world of sex and drugs, even running away from home several times.  It peddles itself as a true story but I read that there is some controversy about that.

A book that takes place in your hometown (home state) - Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink

This is another book from my childhood and was read to me in fourth grade.  It is set in my home state of Wisconsin and even mentions the town I went to school in (New Ulm).

A banned book - The Earth, My Butt and Other Big Round Things by Carolyn Mackler

I've seen this on the challenged list several times so I got it on Overdrive from my library.  It was an extremely interesting book about a teen who deals with her own self-identity, including her weight issues.  

A book based on or turned into a TV series - Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepherd

I got this for free on Kindle awhile back and I was extremely drawn into the mystery of "A."  Sadly, the second book was a bit of a disappointment for me.

Other books - 
Miracles on Maple Hill by Virginia Sorenson - I got the audiobook on Scribd and chapter 4 from from a completely different book!  Otherwise, it was a good book and a Newbery winner. 
Auschwitz: A New History by Laurence Rees - I decided to read this to get more information about the infamous camp
Clapton:The Autobiography by Eric Clapton - A candid memoir about the famous guitarist. 
All the Blue Eyed Angels by Jen Blood - An Erin Solomon mystery about the death of a cult 
Commodore Perry in the Land of the Shogun by Rhoda Blumberg - A nonfiction book about Perry's trip to isolated Japan to secure trade.
The Great Gilly Hopkins by Katherine Paterson - The story of a foster child who wants to run away to live with her mother
Dogsong by Gary Paulsen - Hopefully the last Paulsen book I'll ever read, this is about an Eskimo boy who goes out with a team of dogs 
Calico Bush by Rachel Field - The story of a bound-out French girl who travels with an English family to settle in the American colonies
The Bears on Hemlock Mountain by Alice Dalgliesh - A little boy discovers that there are really bears on Hemlock Mountain.
The Courage of Sarah Noble by Alice Dalgliesh - Sarah travels with her father to build their family's new house in a land full of Indians
Ramona and her Father by Beverly Cleary - Ramona's father loses his job.
Ramona Quimby, Age 8 by Beverly Cleary - Ramona's father goes back to school to be a teacher and things don't go right for Ramona
The Wish Giver by Bill Brittain - Three children and a shopkeeper buy wishes for 50 cents from a mysterious man.
The Planet of Junior Brown by Virginia Hamilton - A book about Junior Brown and his friend Buddy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my followers! Let me know what you have to say.

I've been having a lot of spam lately so Anonymous users are not allowed. Sorry. :(