Friday, January 11, 2013

So, I'm not going to graduate school and some flu advice

Well, after going into full panic mode today, I'm not going to graduate school.  UNT accepted me too late to get in anything for approval with TAA so I have a waiver until June so I'm shooting for summer session or Maymester now.  Takes a bit of a load off but now I have to take the GRE.

Also, Parsley posted on her blog a bit about the flu and remedies.  I was generally religious about getting my flu shot every year.  It was a very good idea in college (dorm life and all) and T-Mobile actually had on site flu clinics for free to encourage everyone to get one (because call centers are close quarters and all).  I didn't get one this year because I don't have insurance and I can't afford the extra at the moment.

I hadn't had the flu since high school until last year.  It was really weird.  I woke up with vomiting and then broke out in a rash so we rushed to Care Now for urgent care because my doctor couldn't see me that day. After a few tests, they discovered that I had the flu and I was given Zofran for the vomiting and Tamiflu to help with the symptoms.  I'd always been a bit skeptical about Tamiflu and it's really pricey ($45 with insurance) but I was almost back to normal the next day.  Turns out that if you had the flu shot and still got the flu, you got the odd symptoms that I had.  So, I encourage anyone who thinks they have the flu or has family members with the flu to look into Tamiflu since I've seen how well it works.  But you have to act quickly.

Oh, and my husband got me a light up frog that floats around the bathtub and changes colors.

2 comments:

  1. I read about your school problems and then your flu problems........and then I read the last line about the light up frog - and all was well with the world! Irene xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this! I don't get the shot. So many times it does not cover the different strains. I had the full blown respiratory flu three years ago with the high fever, aches, etc. I was given Tamiflu that first day but I still suffered for over a week with severe symptoms. Perhaps it works better for different strains.

    Still, if I ever get the flu again, I know I will be desperate enough to try it again.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my followers! Let me know what you have to say.

I've been having a lot of spam lately so Anonymous users are not allowed. Sorry. :(