Monday, April 23, 2012

T is for Teaching


I think I decided that I wanted to be a teacher in 3rd grade. All through school, I focused on nothing but being a teacher. I never explored any other careers except thinking about being a librarian for about 2 minutes.

I went to college to be a teacher but had some issues with the school administration and decided to graduate without student teaching. 

I ended up being a professional musician for a year but I put my teaching skills to use.  I taught piano and voice lessons and also worked in a before-school program at a local Catholic grade school.  But I decided during that year that I really wanted to teach so I went back to college for a semester to student teach.

I made it through the first experience which was 9 weeks in a 1-3 grade classroom but I had issues with the second 5 week experience in a middle school math classroom because it had been awhile since I'd done any advanced math.  So, I had to move back home and ended up getting a job in a call center for a generator company.

Now that I'm married and in a different state with kids of my own, I think I'm finally ready to teach.  I don't think I was ready 5 years ago.  I needed more life experience.  So, I've applied for Texas alternative certification, taken my content tests and now I'm just trying to find a teaching job.  Not as easy as it would seem in this economy.  

1 comment:

  1. Hello fellow Texan and teacher! Best of luck on the job hunt. New follower here. I’m enjoying reading my fellow “A to Z”ers. I look forward to visiting again.

    Sylvia
    http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my followers! Let me know what you have to say.

I've been having a lot of spam lately so Anonymous users are not allowed. Sorry. :(