Wednesday, April 18, 2012

P is for Piano



Piano is my first love.  I started when I was 7 which means I've been playing for 20 years now.

It wasn't always smooth sailing.  I think about 3rd grade I hit the plateau.  Its that part of the learning curve when you feel you aren't going anywhere.  I wanted to quit but Mom had just bought me a piano and they're not cheap.  So I kept going.  And I'm glad I did.

If I had money, I want this piano:

But they only sold 50 and it's like $50,000.  Guess I'm out of luck.  Besides, I don't have room in my house.  However it's a Mark IV Disklavier which is incredibly awesome.  Drool.  Drool.

I used to have an acoustic piano.


My parents bought it for me when I was in 2nd grade and we'd moved to a house where there was more room for it.  But it's not practical for an apartment.  Fortunately, I worked for a music store teaching lessons and so I got a great deal on my Yamaha P-140 Digital Piano


It's kinda like a portable Clavinova.  I'd been teaching piano lessons on Clavinovas and it's really really hard to tell the difference, the action is so authentic.  They also sampled from actual Yamaha pianos so it also doesn't sound digital.  Plus this one is actually portable.  Well, portable in the sense that it attaches to the base.  It's like 40 pounds and full sized so it's not really easily transported.  You can check the specs here.

I like Yamaha pianos.  I've played on Steinways and I know it's probably blasphemy to say this but....I don't like how they play.  I always feel like I have to push really hard to get anything out of it.  The Yamahas I've played are like playing butter.  So responsive.

I don't just play solo piano either.  I've been an accompanist since I was 11.  I cut my teeth playing for Sunday School and then moved up to choir in 7th and 8th grade.  I did choir in high school as well as soloists and instrumentalists and also two of the high school musicals.  I sight read so that makes it easier for me to learn new music quickly.  Didn't do a lot in college besides playing for soloists for their voice recitals.  The organ and voice lessons kept me busy enough.

2 comments:

  1. i remember learning to play the piano when i was about 7. :)
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com
    Happy A-Zing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took piano lessons when I was little, but I quit because I was also a dancer and that took up too much time to ever practice. I regret quitting now!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my followers! Let me know what you have to say.

I've been having a lot of spam lately so Anonymous users are not allowed. Sorry. :(