Monday, April 2, 2012

B is for Books



If you haven't guessed from the sidebar, I'm a bit of a bookworm.  Or at least I used to be until I had kids and was working full time.  My husband reads a lot more than me.  He reads old mysteries in ebook format on his phone or his tablet while he watches the girls.  I've read some stuff on ebook but I prefer to hold the actual paper book in my hand.  At least until I get a Kindle Fire or something.  Someday.  And soon I won't be working (for those of you joining me for A to Z, my T-Mobile call center is closing in June).

I read a lot of books when I was younger.  I always hated the ones they assigned us in school.  I did the summer library reading and the MS Readathon (my kind of marathon since I don't have an athletic bone in my body).  When I was in 3rd grade, I got bored with the kids section and wandered downstairs to the adult section where all the Star Trek books were.  Now, I generally read young adult stuff.  It's generally more engaging and better written.  I don't touch romance books (not with a 10 foot pole). 

I generally do scifi and fantasy as my genre of choice.  I find as I grow older, it appeals less.  Probably losing my innocence or something.

Here are some of my favorites:

The Looking Glass Wars (The Looking Glass Wars, #1) The Looking Glass Wars (Frank Beddor).  I picked this book up because a) it looked kinda cool and b) it was on clearance.  I have all three books in the series.  It's a very interesting take on Alice in Wonderland.

New Frontier (Star Trek New Frontier: Complete in one volume) Star Trek New Frontier (Peter David).  This is the only Star Trek series that I still read.  Peter David was always my favorite author in the Star Trek universe and this is a novel-only series with his twisted sense of humor.  There are even a few comic books in the set too.  Getting the latest book of Amazon once my gift cards come in.

Dragonflight (Pern: Dragonriders of Pern, #1) Dragonriders of Pern (Anne McCaffrey). I haven't read all the outlying books, just the main books of the series and I do like them a lot.

The Frog Princess (Tales of the Frog Princess, #1) Tales of the Frog Princess (E.D. Baker). A interesting take on the frog prince story where the princess is wearing a charm-reversal bracelet...which turns her into a frog when she kisses the frog.  The other books introduce more magical characters.  I just realized there are another 2 books that I don't have.  Oh, well.  I guess I'll collect them later.


I've also done the other "extremely popular" series like Twlight, Hunger Games,  and  Inheritance.  They were ok.  I do really like  Harry Potter though.

You can see the rest of the books that I've read along with reviews if you click on the Goodreads widget in the sidebar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my followers! Let me know what you have to say.

I've been having a lot of spam lately so Anonymous users are not allowed. Sorry. :(