Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Review: How Now Shall We Live

How Now Shall We Live?How Now Shall We Live? by Charles Colson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I should point out to begin with, that this book is aimed at Christians as the target audience.

I was introduced to this book when I attended a C.S. Lewis retreat.  The book that was recommended was Total Truth by Nancy Pearcey who is the co-author of this book.  This was also recommended along with that book. 

This book deals with the concept of the Christian worldview.  It definitely takes the stance from "This Little Light of mine" which says "Hide it under a bushel? No! I'm gonna let it shine."  The first part of the book deals mainly which the view of the current world.  He explains thoroughly the teachings of postmodernism, naturalism and Darwinism, quoting material from different sources like Carl Sagan and other philosophers, showing their teachings and origins.  Then he goes to show how the underpinnings from these theories gave rise to the current themes in society like free sex, abortion, euthanasia and evolution.  As a Christian, it's often hard to see why society is the way that it is but once you understand the underpinnings, the results make sense.

The other part of the book deals with what should be a Christian's response.  In a nutshell, the current views of the world has resulted in morality being thrown out the window.  It's all subjective and there can't possibly be a firm set of rules.  The world also seeks to solve is to create a utopia.  Colson rebutts this by pointing out that there is in fact a moral law that God has laid down and that to help society, we must restore order.

I did really enjoy this book.  Colson has definitely done his research and quotes many different sources when trying to explain postmodernism.  He also uses a lot of examples to illustrate his points.  I would definitely recommend this to any Christian.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my followers! Let me know what you have to say.

I've been having a lot of spam lately so Anonymous users are not allowed. Sorry. :(