Thursday, October 27, 2011

Review: The Graveyard Book

The Graveyard BookThe Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I've liked Neil Gaiman ever since I read "The Sandman" (an excellent read but NOT for young readers at all).  Previously, I've read "Coraline" and "Stardust" and "Good Omens" (which he wrote with Terry Prachett) and "The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish."  I saw this is Barnes and Noble and thought that it looked like Gaiman's normal ominous work and I decided to put it on my list to read later.
Then I found out that it had won the Newbery.
Normally, the Newbery people are spot on in picking the best books of the year so I figured that I really REALLY had to read this one. 
The book itself reads more like a collection of short stories that are all connected together.  They center around Nobody Owens, a boy who's family is murdered when he is a toddler and he finds sanctity in a graveyard where he is raised by a ghostly couple the Owens and his mysterious guardian Silas.  We see glimpses of Bod as he grows up, being taught things by ghosts, as he befriends a little girl, as he tries to go to school in the real world.  Gaiman weaves all these stories together into an entertaining, cohesive book.  A definite read.

Decided to read it again for #allhallowsread on Twitter.  Excellent choice.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my followers! Let me know what you have to say.

I've been having a lot of spam lately so Anonymous users are not allowed. Sorry. :(