Thursday, December 31, 2009

Review: The Looking Glass Wars


I FINALLY finished this book. I've only been working on it since early this fall. Haven't had much time to read. The Looking Glass Wars is a retelling of Alice in Wonderland from the perspective that Alice is a refugee from Wonderland who told her tale to Lewis Carroll who published it in a book.

Alyss Heart is the princess of Wonderland until her evil Aunt Redd slaughters her parents and Alyss is forced to flee to the "real world." She is adopted by the Liddells, forgets her previous life and is about to marry a Prince when suddenly she is taken back to Wonderland in an attempt to overthrow Redd.

There are some great re imaginings of characters with the Mad Hatter who is actually the bodyguard (his hat is a deadly weapon) and Bibwitt Harte who is the real White Rabbit and Alyss' tutor.

This book is rather dark with Redd basically destroying Wonderland in an attempt to squelch the resistance against her rule. I am hoping it will be rebuilt in the second book.

It's a good read. A little slow in parts but it has a good plot line. A definite read if you like the original story but I think it would be enjoyable even if you are not familiar with the original story (I've only read parts of Alice in Wonderland and I have seen the Disney version).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my followers! Let me know what you have to say.

I've been having a lot of spam lately so Anonymous users are not allowed. Sorry. :(